Sheriff Badge
 

Madison County Sheriff's Office

Serving the Citizens of Madison County, Since 1836.
Sheriff Badge

History of the Madison County Sheriff's Office

Madison County, created from part of Washington County on September 30, 1836, was named in honor of James Madison, the fourth president of the United States. The county is bordered on the north by Carroll and Benton Counties, on the east by Carroll and Newton Counties, on the south by Crawford, Franklin and Johnson Counties, and on the west by Washington and Benton Counties. It has an area of 836 square miles, and an average elevation of 1,200 feet.
The first session of the county court was held in the barn of Evan S. Polk, which was situated where the new primary school is located. Sessions were later held at the house of John Sanders, until July 22, 1839 when Huntsville was then declared the permanent county seat. The first actual courthouse was a small hand hewn log structure, erected at a cost of $150.00 and located in the center of the town square. A brick courthouse was built in 1845 and served until 1863 when it was burned by Federal troops during the Civil War. After the war, sessions were held at the home of John Vaughan and in the Masonic Hall. A new courthouse was completed in January 1871, but was destroyed by fire on December 1, 1879. The next courthouse was completed in October, 1882 and stood untl 1902 when it was destroyed by fire. The next courthouse was located where the Scotts Building is on the North side of the town square, it was torn down the same year as the new and current courthouse was built. The current courthouse was dedicated on November 30, 1939.
Madison County is sparsely populated and has great natural beauty. The scenic Kings River was the first stream in Arkansas to receive legislative recognition and protection. It is the only free-flowing stream running into the White River. Kings River Falls, the largest waterfall on the river, and is protected by a state-owned 17-acre natural area.